I don't claim to be an expert fisherman ... just a guy who loves to fish and has been blessed for his efforts. I learned a long time ago that in fishing, and in much of life, you get out of it what you put into it. I work hard when fishing, I study a lot, and always try to learn something on every outing. I hope you can use the information I post on this blog to learn something as well. Thanks for following along!



Monday, December 20, 2010

Tying up some sacs tonight

What could be more fun on a cold, snowy December night than enjoying a beer, watching your two least favorite football teams play (sorry to my friends from Chicago :-))on TV, and tying up a few dozen fresh spawn sacs? For those of you who aren't familiar with the process, it starts with this ...

and ends looking like this ...

I prefer to tie my sacs in orange and chartreuse mesh (bridal veil) using magic thread. I like them about the size of your thumb nail but will go smaller at time, specifically when fishing clear water.

Good, fresh spawn sacs are difficult to find, especially those made from Brown Trout spawn. When you find them in a bait shop they will usually cost about $.50 each. Fishing 3 lines for 10 hours and keeping fresh sacs on ... you can go through a small fortune in spawn if your buying it.

Here's an easy-to-follow guide to tying sacs.

No comments:

Post a Comment