I don't claim to be an expert fisherman ... just a guy who loves to fish and has been blessed for his efforts. I learned a long time ago that in fishing, and in much of life, you get out of it what you put into it. I work hard when fishing, I study a lot, and always try to learn something on every outing. I hope you can use the information I post on this blog to learn something as well. Thanks for following along!



Thursday, January 13, 2011

Has anyone seen my football?

After a third consecutive night of what I'll call "disturbed sleep", I've come to a conclusion regarding "what the heck I'm doing".  My conclusion is ... I'm doing it all wrong.

I started thinking back to years gone by.  Many of them.  Back to when I was just a kid who loved to fish and wished he could do it every day. I remember going to ice fishing derbies and getting a thrill out of watching people register their fish ... just to see the fish!  I remember getting dropped off (wasn't old enough to drive yet) at the river sloughs at first ice with a chisel and a couple of cheap tip-ups and spending all day trying to out-think a northern pike or two.  I remember going ice fishing with my buddies and making sure somebody remembered the football and the grill.

Somewhere, something went wrong. I've just realized that fishing has become trying to out-think other fisherman ... trying to get a step up on everyone else so they'd get a thrill out of seeing what I caught ... trying to out-spend everyone else because "the experts" said I needed this or that.

Somewhere along the line I forgot the football.

So, it's back to basics for this guy.  I pledge to myself (as I sit here at 3:55 a.m.) that from this day forward fishing will once again be about the fish, the friends, and the football.  If you're looking for me ... I'll be the guy turning the brats on the grill.  I'll be the first to help my buddy land his fish, because that means I'll be the first to see it.  I'll be the old guy limping around because his knees can't handle the post pattern anymore. I'll be the guy with the smile on his face ... actually enjoying himself again.

Let me know if you want to come along. I've got plenty of the latest equipment ... I've still got my football somewhere around here ... and I make a mean brat!

1 comment:

  1. It is very easy to become addicted to the "fishing" way. Trying to keep up with the "Jones", needing every new gadjet that comes out, more expensive rods and reels etc. etc.

    I know first hand that something will be missing eventually with the whole experience. Sounds like you have a plan to keep the "fun in fishing" alive. Good post!

    ReplyDelete